Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Pilot's Wife

A lot of people are surprised when I tell them what Landon wants to be when he "grows up." Most reactions I get are, "wow, you are okay with that??" to which I always reply, of course!!!

I know there are many drawbacks to being a pilot's wife... The biggest one being the amount of time away from home. Some pilots who fly internationally can be gone for up to 2 weeks at a time...regularly. Yikes! But, they are also home for 2 weeks at a time too. So yes, they are gone a lot, but they are also home a lot too. It will be nice having Landon home during the day with me...having regular "day time" life with our kids and being able to see him more than just nights and weekends.

Another drawback, there is absolutely no demand for pilots at the moment. And as a pilot you have to work your way from the very bottom, and it takes a long time to get to the top. Let's just we are going to be VERY poor once Landon decides to stop being an engineer and start being a pilot. But of course, money isn't everything.

So why am I okay being a pilot's wife? Well the answer is simply that I know that it is Landon's passion. And if he is going to be working for the next 40 years of his life, I want him to be doing what he LOVES. Not just something that is bearable. I wish you could see his face light up when he talks about flying. Or see him after tonight... flying for the first time in three years. There's just no denying that Landon was born to fly, and I would never ever ever take that away from him...even if I'm going to cry every night he is gone :)



My pilot. Dang he's cute!

Here's a video of Landon's first time taking off in an airplane in three years... My heart was RACING! I've never been able to see him fly. It was so unbelievable :)


2 comments:

  1. hey han! ok so crazy thing...mitch has always wanted to be a pilot, but ruled it out a while ago but is now reconsidering since our options with his major are fairly limited. anyway we are pretty sure he is going to go to ATP flight school when we move down to houston. we have done lots of research though and according to the FAA there it is projected that there will be an increase in demand for regional pilots over the next few years (which is where you start out to work your way up). Also we got something in the mail from ATP saying that this is a good time to certify since the demand for regional pilots will go up in the next few years. anyway if you want to read more about it, here's the government website:

    http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/apl/aviation_forecasts/long-range_forecasts/media/long00.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. When did Landon get his license to be a pilot?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...