Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Unemployed

I've always told Landon that I would love to be a s.a.h.w. aka stay-at-home-wife (I know, that doesn't really exist, but I liked the idea of it). I would keep busy by keeping the house perfectly clean, cooking awesome meals for the hubby, baking yummy treats, crafting, reading good books, etc. Well we've officially been in Oregon for 13 days and I'm SO ready to be out of the house. I'm totally not meant to be a s.a.h.w.

I am a go-getter and I hate being lazy. I have to be doing something or else I feel like a waste of a person. And honestly, I'm running out of things to do around here. The house is spotless, we always have baked goods to eat, I've been making nice dinners... but I really need a JOB.

And let me tell ya, not only are there no teaching jobs in Oregon... there are no regular jobs in Oregon. I have applied everywhere and just keep getting denied/ignored. Okay, that's a lie I have actually had 2 job offers but I just wasn't desperate enough to take either of them. One was a sales job based solely on commission (no thank you) and one was working at a daycare where I would be a "teacher" for a traumatized class of 1-2 year olds that just lost their teacher they had for a year, oh and I'd be making 10/hr (no thank you). I have interviewed with 2 different temp agencies that specialize in placing office-type jobs like receptionist, assistant, etc. but that isn't really where I dream of working either.

I just feel like I'm in a complete and utter rut right now. My whole life I KNEW I was meant to be a teacher, but that just isn't even a possibility right now so I am having to come up with a whole new game plan... Recently I've been considering possibly getting my real estate license but seriously I have never really been interested in that... It just sounds slightly more appealing than answering phones all day. What is a girl to do?!

Okay, I'm sorry. I'm done being a Debbie Downer. I've just been sitting at home all day with nothing to do and I needed to vent about how bored/hopeless I am right now.

And just for a reward for reading my rantings, you get a picture of me going a little bit stir crazy

I am so desperate at this point that I will work anywhere... (okay I lied, anywhere other than a sales job/daycare). Any ideas?

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're having such a tough time being unemployed! It really is the pits. Having just come from the unemployment rut myself, the only advice I have is to pray. A lot. And just keep looking. God has a plan for you, and there's a place where you're meant to be! It'll come you've just gotta keep on, keeping on.
    As for your copious amounts of spare time, perhaps pick up a new hobby? I like making fabric flowers :) oh and photography!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're not desperate for money try volunteering at a school or two... get your foot in the door, it works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say I feel bad for you, but, that would be a lie. I will switch you places in a heart beat. At least you and Landon have gotten a higher education and have graduated, at least the 2 of you have your own place, and at least Landon has chosen a career and has a job in what he wants to do. We couldn't survive living on our own after being married a year and a half, so, we just moved into my In-laws. My husband and I have lost job after job our whole marriage and I am working at Arby's making minimum wage; I would LOVE to make $10 an hour! I have not had the opportunity to attend college and my husband has NO clue on what he wants to do with his life, and we have no plans for our future because of this. Being out of a job sucks, I know that all too well since I have lost multiple jobs over the last almost 5 years. Getting a job you want is anyones dream, but, you gotta do what you gotta do - and you might not always like it. Hope you do find a job soon, though! Just think that things could always be worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the greatest blessings came to me while i was job hunting!
    I felt a lot like you did and needed to fill my time with something worthwhile... so I volunteered to be a service missionary at the distribution center! It helped me find my wonderful job and helped me grow!! look into it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. solution: get pregnant! that'll keep you busy!!

    hahah!

    but...I totally feel ya. terrified for the next stage of life when I move, do student teaching which I am dreading, and somehow miraculously find a job that pays enough to support us for 1-2 years while mitch finishes school. sigh. stupid job market... good luck though han!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry too much, before you know it "bored" will NEVER again enter your vocabulary. Things will work out. Have you been to your ward? Ask the RS president what she needs help with, I'm sure she'll give you something to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm sorry hannah! i have been there...but i agree, get pregnant and you'll never say the word bored again. and if you do then have a second:) hope it gets better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow i just realized how old this post is, i'm sorry, ignore me:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...