Immediately after venting all of my frustrations of unemployment/lack of direction I knew what I had to do. I pulled out my scriptures and scripture journal. Personal revelation from our Heavenly Father is real.
I opened to a page dated 9/7/2008, almost 3 years ago to a fireside I attended. The speaker was Jefferey R. Holland. I remember being so touched by this fireside and felt like every word coming from Elder Holland's mouth was meant just for me and what I was going through at the time. Now, as I look back on this entry years later and read the notes I took, the words are meant just for me, just for my circumstance right now.
I want to share my notes with you because I know every person can apply these words from an apostle of Jesus Christ into their life. I am so happy I decided to take notes that night and now feel more motivated to write more regularly in my scripture journal.
**These are my own notes and may not be word-for-word what Elder Holland spoke**
"You can have sacred and revelatory experiences with the Lord in the most miserable and oppositional times. We all face our own "Liberty Jail." (Click here and here to read more about the Prophet Joseph Smith's experience in Liberty Jail). Every experience can become a redemptive experience if we stay bonded to God. He can change the unfair circumstances to "temples" instead of jails where we can receive peace and revelation. We must have faith and be humble. Hardships are necessary and help make us strong.
Lessons Learned at Liberty Jail
1. Everyone will face trying tames and may feel abandoned in the darkness. "Oh God, where art thou?" We must not succumb to the fear that God is not there. He is right there with us. He is always there. We have to endure and know that God hears our cries and knows our distress. We are not alone in our prisons.
2. Jesus had to suffer our pains, sorrows, and every burden of every person. Our burdens may seem heavy but it would be even harder without Christ. The Savior has been where we have been. We have been permanently engraven on His hands. He will never forsake or forget us.
3. We need to be gentle and meek and not lash out because of our trials to God or anyone else. We need to be patient and calm in our trials. We must live the gospel at ALL times--even when things are not going so smoothly. This is when we see what we are really made of and can see how strong we are. Even in distress and trials, our bowels must be full of charity. The spirit cannot get into a heart full of self-pity and hate. We must be long-suffering, kind, and charitable so the spirit may touch and help us. Let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power--even in the rough and hard times.
Hold on thy way, God shall be with you forever and ever. Bad days come to an end and faith ALWAYS triumphs."
I know hard times can be our greatest times, if we turn to Christ and have faith, and I am so grateful for this humbling reminder.
And thanks everyone for all of your comments and support but I just wanted to say I really am okay and yesterday was just one of those days when I was feeling down. I'm feeling much better today and just trying to stay busy and positive.
No comments:
Post a Comment