For over three years I have been
working as a nanny for the same family. It's honestly my dream job. I always thought I wanted to be a teacher--which is why I took out tons of loans and went to college--but being a nanny is a better fit for me. People ask me all the time if I want to be a teacher or if I'll continue looking for teaching jobs. Nope. No desire. Isn't that weird? I can totally see myself 40 years from now as a little old grandma working as a nanny part-time. I love the one-on-one relationship you build with the kids. I love how I get paid to play. I love how simple and happy my day-to-day is. I love how there's no deadlines. No test scores. And hardly any stress (
unless the kids are sick, that is not fun). Did I mention that I literally get paid to play? Oh, and I get paid more as a nanny than a teacher. So for all my teacher friends out there, it's something to think about :)
The little boy is no longer a baby. He is FOUR, which is kind of insane. He used to be a BABY. I can't really handle how fast kids grow up. Enzo is so much fun and a little ball of energy. He makes me laugh every day! And he's so sweet. He'll randomly run up to me, give me a hug, and say, "Hannah you are the best nanny ever." I always tell him he's the best kiddo ever.
 |
| see he used to slobber and drool and sleep in a crib! He was so little.. |
The little girl is practically a teenager. Okay not really, but she is almost 8. She is such a sweetheart and seriously acts so grown up. She's so respectful, helpful, and sweet. We kind of had some "power struggles" when I first started and I remember my very first week we were at the grocery store and I asked her to hold onto the cart. She called me a sponge. "You sponge!" were her exact words. Haha! It was the best. It was one of those times where you know the kid needs to get into "trouble" but you can't stop laughing.
I love both of them so much. They seriously feel like mine. Not mine as in my own children, but mine as in they are part of my family somehow. Their mom refers to me as their "second-mom." If you ask Enzo who the members of his family are he will tell you mom, dad, Gabby, Peanut (their dog), Hannah, and Landon. As a nanny, you truly become a part of the fam. I love how much the kids love Landon too. Heart=melted!
But the thing is, kids grow up. And they go to school. And they no longer need a nanny. I'm in denial about it all. I really don't know how I'm going to do it.
 |
| can't they just stay little forever?! |
I know I can stay in the kids' lives and still go to birthday parties and still visit, but it's not the same. Change is hard. I have known this was coming for over a year, but it doesn't make it any easier.
 |
| I was trying to get them to smile "nicely" instead of doing the scrunch face thing. This picture cracks me up! :) |
I started applying for nanny jobs last week and I've already had so many interviews, phone calls, emails... it's really nice to feel like I'm in "demand" but I doubt anyone will find a nanny better than me. Haha just kidding. But really.... ;) Ha. It's been SUPER busy and I'm going to be pretty picky about choosing my next family. But I don't even want to be a nanny for a new family. I just want my Gabby and my Enzo... :(
Anyway, I am so grateful for the opportunity I've had to nanny these kids and to the Magyars for letting me be a part of their family for the past three years. I'm grateful for the relationship they've built with me and for the open communication we've had. Being their nanny has been better than I could have ever imagined and I'm just overcome with so many emotions right now. Change is hard.
In about a month Landon and I are taking the kiddos to Great Wolf Lodge for one last shebang before my last day. I hope these kiddos remember me. I hope they remember the things I've taught them. I hope I've had a positive impact on their lives. Thank you Magyars for an amazing adventure and for letting me be a part of your family. Gabby and Enzo--I love you so much!
Oh...this is so sweet. You are like Mary Poppins! The cutest, sweetest nanny who comes and totally changes the lives of the kids and the family that she nannies. They are so lucky that they got you - I'm sure they know that. I bet it is so sad to leave!! I'm sorry you have to make that change, but change really is good. Mary Poppins - I mean Hannah - will go on to find some other cute family and will change their lives as well. You really would have been the best teacher, but I'm so glad that you got to be a nanny instead. And those cute kiddos were glad too. :)
ReplyDelete