This year we've decided to do smaller trips, like visits to family and camping, instead of big trips. We love to travel, but sometimes the best trips are the little weekend ones not far from home. Plus, I'm kind of obsessed with camping so even though I still find myself dreaming of a cruise, I am VERY happy with our little weekend getaways.
We weren't planning on going camping last weekend, but the weather was looking so nice (sunny and in the 70's! Thank you Oregon!) and we didn't have any plans so we decided to go for it. One of the perks of not having kids yet I guess ;) We went to Detroit Lake so we could bring the Hobie and go sailing... best decision ever! Camping AND sailing was the best combo :)
The campground is right on the water and they have boat ramps for you to use... but unfortunately the water levels were CRAZY low so the campsites were more like 1/4 mile from the lake and the boat ramps were unusable.
| This bathroom is supposed to be a "floating bathroom" for you to use if you are out boating on the lake. It was nowhere close to the water. |
It was really fun to watch Landon sail the Hobie and get some pictures. It's such pretty boat!
| The view of Mt Jefferson was really pretty! |
| You can see all the logs and sand really well in this picture. That should all be covered by water. It was really kind of ugly and depressing. |
Pretty beach right? ;)
After pulling the Hobie up on the beach we decided to let the boys try swimming for the first time. I'm not even kidding you, it was the cutest thing I've ever seen. I seriously DIE every time I look at these pictures and I've watched this video 100 times. I just can't even get over it. Also, can we just talk about how cute of a puppy-daddy Landon is? Oh my word.
I mean seriously? Is that not the cutest thing? They were just so brave!
After our little swimming adventure, we went back to our campsite to set up and then we all put on our life jackets and went for a little sail. Yep, the boys came on the boat too! Unfortunately, I don't have a picture because Hobies like to tip over and you definitely don't want anything that can be destroyed by water on the boat. Ever. I need a Go Pro ASAP. Anyway, we got some really decent wind and I was a little nervous because I did NOT want to capsize with the boys on the boat (like that one time on Vancouver Lake... that was terrible!) But our skipper took good care of us and we just zoomed back and forth across the lake. The Hobie goes SO fast--it was so much fun! The boys were a little nervous I think, but overall they are just our little sea-dogs and such brave adventurers. I just held them tight :)
I loved how the boys sat so nicely waiting by daddy to get a taste of the s'mores. Of course daddy gave them some licks :)
We took the boys on another walk after dinner and then put them to bed so we could go out to the lake and watch the stars. One of my favorite things about camping is how BRIGHT the stars are in the middle of nowhere. I just can't get over it. It makes me feel SO small and it's just so beautiful. We laid on the tramp of the Hobie Cat and found satellites and just stared at the stars in awe. It was an absolutely perfect day.
The next morning we ate breakfast, went on walk, took down camp, ate lunch, and then took the Hobie out for one more sail. We didn't have much wind at first, but it picked up and again we were just zooming back and forth across the lake SO fast. I love it!
We had the best weekend and we've decided that from now on we are only going camping near water because it was so much fun to do both sailing AND camping. When we got home we immediately started planning our next camping trip and we are going to a different lake over Memorial Day. Ahhh I can't even WAIT!


Okay, this looks like the perfect weekend. That video of your doggies swimming was the cutest thing ever. They are just so darling. And I love that you got to look at the stars from your hobie. That sounds SO amazing. I bet they were so pretty. What a fun weekend for you two! Let's have one of those weekends together sometime, okay? We would love to do a camping trip together!
ReplyDelete