Our first attempt to take Thumbelina out looked like this...
Haag Lake doesn't open until March 2nd. Did you know they close lakes for the winter?! Sheesh.
Our second attempt wasn't much better because we left the sails at home. Kinda hard to sail a sailboat when you don't have sails. (Not pictured--Landon throwing his hat and maybe saying a few choice words and me crying a bit.)
But you know what they say... third time's a charm right? We took her out to a little inlet off the Willamette River called Swan Island. It's open all year AND we remembered the sails--yay us!
Landon went by himself first so I could take some pictures. Unfortunately there wasn't much wind, but we were prepared...
Once Landon paddled into the middle of the inlet the wind picked up, well I guess I should say slight breeze. But nevertheless, Thumbelina sailed. I just stood at the dock in awe as tears streamed down my face. It was such a proud moment watching this boat that Landon worked on for a year actually SAIL. I can't even describe the feeling but it was amazing.
Who just decides one day to build a sailboat (having never really built anything) and then build a trailer (having never welded before) and then just take it out on the water like it's no big deal (having never sailed before)? Oh Landon, you are one of a kind. There's just no one like you. I couldn't be more proud.
My camera isn't exactly waterproof so I don't have proof that I sailed but I really did. I was in charge of the jib (jib=the sail in the front of the boat that isn't hoisted in the pictures). We got a few gusts of wind and Thumbelina actually went pretty fast! I felt completely stable the whole time, but we wore wet-suits and life jackets--just in case. We tacked all the way up the inlet (tack= not sailing straight because of the direction of the wind so we had to "tack" or turn the boat and zig-zag) and then came straight downwind back to the dock. (Are you impressed by my official sailor speak?!)
Sailing was SO much fun. It was seriously a perfect weekend. We can't wait for all of our new adventures on the water!
that is amazing! how the heck to you just learn to build a boat? .... Seriously soo cool!
ReplyDeleteI honestly have NO idea. He's just crazy.
DeleteSo so so so so so AMAZING! That is so awesome!
ReplyDeleteThanks Wendy!!! It was so fun!!!
DeleteThis is too adorable! Good heavens!!!
ReplyDeleteAww thanks Michelle!! :)
DeleteI have to say that Landon is really inspiring me to just DO the things I am afraid to do. I sit and just get anxious about how much I don't know how to do, when Landon just gets up and DOES it, not knowing anything. I really am trying to take a page out of his book. Man. What must it be like to be married to that guy? How do you keep up with him?? :) We are proud of Landon too. What a guy!
ReplyDeleteVery, very cool!
ReplyDelete