A little bit of a back story about Suzette and I... after one month of dating, Landon drove me all the way to Texas (20 hours!) to meet his family. I knew that Landon and his mom were close but I had no idea HOW close. I was SO intimidated watching Landon with his mom thinking that I could never be that close to Landon. They have a very special relationship and I didn't know how I would fit in. My first night in Texas I cried myself to sleep.
| on the road :) |
Fast forward a few months. Landon and I are now engaged and he went to Texas to visit his family. My sweet future mother-in-law called me to tell me she was flying me out to surprise Landon. I was thrilled and surprising Landon was the best ever.
![]() |
| surprising Landon at Costco :) |
It was during this trip that I really got to know Suzette. I learned how much she loved her boys and how her whole life was dedicated to them. No wonder they were all so close! One day while we were out running errands just the two of us, Suzette told me how happy she was to share Landon with me. I remember her crying telling me how much she loved Landon but how happy she was that we had each other and that I could take care of him now. It was a moment I will never forget. All of my worry and intimidation of their relationship was gone. I realized that Landon didn't have to choose between me or his mom. I would always be his wife, and Suzette would always be his momma. There was plenty of room for both of us in his heart.
Before the wedding, during the wedding, and after the wedding Suzette was always there helping me. She flew to Utah A LOT and I loved getting to know her more and more. We started talking on the phone and became friends, not just in-laws.
| my bridal shower |
| wedding open house in Texas |
In March 2010, six months after our wedding we found out that Landon's mom and dad were getting a divorce. For obvious reasons, I will not go into detail about this event... but during this time I became even closer to Suzette. I listened to her and loved her through it all, at a time when she felt like no one else did.
Now, Suzette is happily remarried to the love of her life. I have never seen her so happy and full of life. We talk on the phone a few times every week and text probably every day. Suzette is the only person I can complain to about Landon because I know she won't judge him and I know she loves him just as much as me ;) She is always there for me. I feel bad because almost every time I call her I'm in crisis mode, either crying or angry or worried... but she doesn't care. I'm just so grateful to have her in my life. I'm so grateful that when I married Landon I gained such a good friend as well. I don't think I've ever told her how much she means to me, and I'm much better at writing than talking so thank you for always being there for me Suzette! Thank you for loving me and treating me like your own daughter. Thank you for raising such a sweet boy (even though we both know he can be a stinker too), he really has such a big heart. Thank you for being my friend. I love you so much and am so grateful to have you in my life!
Here are a few pictures from her visit. We seriously had SO much fun with her here and wish she lived closer!
| she brought Christmas with her. YAY! |
| bundled up like dorks for one of our walks |
| flying up to visit family in Washington |
| fall in Oregon beats Utah for me. the green mixed with yellow is amazing. |
Please come back and visit soon!!!

I loved reading this! Seriously, i am the EXACT SAME WAY with my darling MIL Jill. We always joke that we were meant to be best friends and that it's like we are the exact same age. I love that you have such a similar relationship. It's such a nice change from the classic "Mother-in-law, Daughter-In-Law" relationship, and you can honestly be friends with each other. We obviously got lucky. Such a cute post Hannah!
ReplyDeleteThis is so sweet! It made me teary.
ReplyDelete