Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Motherhood.

I've had so much on my mind lately. When I start talking about this topic I become so passionate that it often ends in tears. My intent is not to offend anyone, but just to share my personal opinion. 


All around me I see the family crumbling. There is no doubt in my mind that it is under attack. Family is the reason we came to this earth. Family is all that matters. When people look back on their lives I don't think they ever say, "I wish I would have spent more time at the office..." but often you hear people talking about how they wish they spent more time with their family (think: 17 Again, Hook, It's a Wonderful Life, Family Man)

So why in our society is it so backwards? Ever since living in Oregon, I have learned that Utah really is a bubble (and that might even be an understatement!!!) I always knew mothers that stayed home, worked from home, or worked part time so they could raise their children. This was the norm for me. Now I know that not everywhere has the same priorities. I am ALL for equal rights, but since when did being a mother not count as doing something prestigious?! Honestly, I cannot think of a higher rank than the title of MOTHER. At my old job people thought I was literally crazy in the brain when I told them I dreamed of being a stay-at-home mom and how there was nothing I would rather do. Some even mentioned they'd go crazy if they had to stay at home with their kids all day :) 

I know that for some women, it is not a choice to work. They have to work because they're a single mom or they can't depend on their husband's income alone. That's a completely different story than a woman who chooses to work even though it is not needed. And I'm not even judging people that choose to be a working mom, but I just want to know why staying home and rearing children is considered a degrading, anti-feminist, old-fashioned idea?! 

So why do I think being a mother is more important than any amount of money or any career choice? Oh man, where do I even begin?

1. Mothers are teaching their children morals--honesty, hard work, kindness, compassion, forgiveness, charity, love. I'm sorry, but I do not trust daycare workers who have 50 other kids to worry about to teach children about the things that really matter. 

2. Mothers who stay home are able to devote ALL of their energy ALL of their time and ALL of their love to their children. I don't know about you, but when I get home from working all day all I want to do is sit on my butt! I cannot imagine coming home from a long day at work and having to worry about children. There's just no way I could have the energy to be a good mom. My children would be put on the back burner, and that's so sad.

3. Children lately have zero respect. All you have to do is walk into a classroom and you can see the lack of respect children have for adults. Children are doing drugs. Children are getting pregnant. Children know and use words they shouldn't even have heard yet. I know that just because you are a stay at home mom doesn't mean you are going to have perfect children... but I definitely think it will help. As a stay at home mom YOU are making sure that your children are learning respect and learning right and wrong. You are able to monitor them and keep them safe from physical and emotional dangers because you have dedicated your ENTIRE life to doing just that. You are able to protect your kids from the evil in this world.

4. Being a stay at home mom has everything to do with my testimony of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Our church values mothers and ever since I was little I have been told that being a mother is divine. "Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels."  All of my beliefs on family come down to this document, The Family: A Proclamation to the World.  I know there is NOTHING more important that I could do for the world than raising righteous children. 

"No other success in life can compensate for failure in the home." -David O McKay

I am really really really not dogging on anyone or judging anyone, because that's not right. But I do wish that I could shout from the rooftops that being a mom IS important. It is not degrading. It is not demeaning. 

Being a mother is NOBLE. 

Sorry for the venting session, I had a lot on my mind after reading these articles about women choosing not to be moms and this one about a high-powered women in DC who chose to stop working to be with her family and how much ridicule she faced. I think women should be applauded, not scorned when they choose to stay home with their children.

5 comments:

  1. Well all I have to say is something my mother taught me, who happened to work full time and still was able to raise 3 kids just fine, is if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. Which is what I'm doing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my mom worked full time too. I have NOTHING against moms who choose to do that. what I do have a problem with is the fact that society thinks women who stay home are wasting their life. Being a mother is the most important job. I said from the start, I was not judging or trying to offend anyone. I just think society's view of motherhood is backward.

      Delete
  2. I love this. I completely agree. I am constantly feeling judged and such when I say that I really want to be a stay at home mom. It makes me so sad that society makes it seem like something awful. This past year I think I've seen the family under attack more than ever and it baffles me that so many seem to not notice it. Motherhood truly is a noble calling. I love this quote by Sheri Dew, "Motherhood is more than bearing children, though it is certainly that. It is the essence of who we are as women. It defines our very identity, our divine stature and nature, and the unique traits our Father gave us." Actually, the whole talk that came from is so wonderful and beautiful. You would love it. It's called "Are We Not All Mothers?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, the view of the world is very sad. Just think of Ann Romney and the comments made about her. Motherhood IS divine. I wish I could keep having babies. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...