Sunday, December 29, 2013

Christmas 2013

This year we decided we wanted to have Christmas at home instead of traveling to Utah or Texas. We actually loved it! I was worried we might feel lonely or wish we would've left, but it was perfect. Plus, Landon's dad, Daren, came up to visit so we had family with us. It was SO good to have him here!

We spent a lot of our time at the boat working on projects to get it ready to be rigged next week. Landon and Daren worked away while I laid in bed on the boat either taking a nap or reading a book. It was nice and relaxing for me plus the boys had fun doing the projects together.

A sailboat without a mast looks like a person without eyebrows. It's just kind of off.
On one of the days we decided to take the boat out and motor it around on the river. Unfortunately we couldn't sail it because the mast isn't installed yet, but we still had so much fun being on the water and taking our boat on her maiden voyage. 









Landon hates taking pictures, but I somehow convinced him to come to the bow and take this cheesy picture with me. It's my favorite.

I'm king of the world!
The Sunday before Christmas we went to church together. The Christmas program was beautiful and I cried singing the hymns as I focused on the real reason why we celebrate Christmas. Our Savior was born to save us all and to show us a perfect example. I love this special time of year to celebrate His life and what it means for me.

Later that night we went to Peacock Lane, a charming little street in Portland where every house decorates with Christmas lights since 1929. It is pretty cute, and a fun tradition but it has nothing on Temple Square in Salt Lake. Afterwards we went home and had donuts, hot chocolate, and watched Muppet Christmas Carol. I love establishing new traditions here in Oregon!


this picture is from last year, but it was pretty much the exactly the same :)

On Christmas Eve, we did the Richins tradition of eating homemade fudge while driving around looking at Christmas lights. We had a hard time finding neighborhoods that were all decked out, but it was still fun! The other half of the tradition is to get pizza for dinner... YUM! That night we watched It's a Wonderful Life (my tradition) and made Santa cookies.

I had such a hard time falling asleep that night. I'm basically a 5 year old stuck in a 24 year old's body. I was just way too excited to sleep! After a night of tossing and turning, we woke up early to go down to the tree. I was SO excited to see that Santa had come and eaten his cookies :) he got Landon a soldering gun, me some rain boots that I've been wanting for-ev-er, and Daren the movie Les Mis.


We took turn opening presents and we all got pretty spoiled. Landon got: handle bar warmers for his motorcycle, waterproof pants for riding his motorcycle, a certificate for a spinnaker (type of sail), Nike shoes, a "what does the fox say" tshirt, a waterproof bag for the boat, nose hair clippers (haha! He asked for it okay!), slippers, a tool set for the boat, and his main present was a certificate for him to pick out a telescope! He loves looking at the stars, tracking the planets, watching the phases of the moon, etc. I thought it would be fun for us to have when we are in the middle of nowhere on our boat and we can star gaze :)



I got: Sperry top-siders (I have also wanted these forever!), leather boots (also on my wish list for years!), the cutest striped coat from Gap, a certificate for a haircut and highlights (stay tuned...I'm going to be doing something pretty drastic!), cute unmentionables from a store with a secret (so awkward to open that one in front of Daren! Haha!!), a $75 shopping spree to Gap, and... A Dyson animal ball vacuum!!!!!!! Ahhh! I LOVE it and have been wanting it forever.



I love Landon's little drawing :) 
my new Christmas outfit :)
After opening presents I made a big breakfast with pancakes, scrambled eggs, and bacon. We tried to go see Saving Mr. Banks but it was sold out so we ended up going to the boat on Christmas. It was a very laid back day and I loved it!


reading "Heaven is Here" while the boys worked  :) 
Later we went home and had a yummy steak dinner made by Landon and Daren. The steaks were so tender, juicy, and flavorful (thanks Nan!) and the potatoes were heavenly (thanks Daren!) I had the hard part of making the green beans and garlic bread ;) ha!


After dinner I Skyped with my cute family. I miss them SO much and can't wait to visit soon. 


While I was Skyping Daren made brownies and then we watched Les Mis, which was a Christmas miracle because Landon has always refused to watch it. He hated it, but I'm still glad he gave it a try! It was one of the most relaxed and low-key Christmases I've ever had, but I loved every minute of it.


We had so much fun with Daren here for Christmas and miss him already. I hope you all had a very happy Christmas too!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...