Before I even say anything, I just have to say that I know what I'm about to say is completely ridiculous (say that ten times fast!)
I have nightmares and have trouble falling asleep at night thinking about how empty our house is going to be. (I told you, ridiculous I know!)
But really, every piece of furniture we have has been given to us. It's all mis-matched, outdated, broken, etc. We don't even have a dining room table, night stands, end tables, etc. We only have one little couch.
Honestly, we'd probably still be sleeping on our air matress right now if a family friend hadn't given us their old one for $20 bucks (true story...we slept on an air mattress the first year of our marriage!!!!)
you can't even tell it's just a blow up with a little foam pad on top, all in a bed frame :)
I just want our house to be cute and feel like home, but honestly it's going to be empty. I have some homey-ish decorations (curtains, frames, signs) but that was only enough to fill our teeny basement apartment, not a huge house.

this is pretty much the extent of the "decorations" in our apartment
I shouldn't even be complaining, because I really am SOOO grateful to have a house, I'm just stressing about what we're actually going to be putting in it. I'm SO jealous of girls that are just naturally crafty and have an eye for decorating... because I really don't have it.
Exhibit A: I don't own an iron or an ironing board.
Exhibit B: I don't own a needle/thread/sewing machine
Exhibit C: My dad had to sew a button that fell off my pea coat for me. This was a few months ago.
Exhibit D: I had a hole in my skirt, so I taped it. True story.
Exhibit E: I just learned what Modge Podge is like a month ago
Oh heavens! I guess the root of my nightmares is mainly the fact that I'm not a homemaker, and I REALLY want to be that girl. So bad.
Anyway, I decided I might do a video tour of our house when it's empty... so that way it will look intentionally empty. Because if I wait until our stuff is in there... it will still look empty, but not on purpose!
And don't even get me started about the 3 empty bedrooms upstairs. I told Landon we're going to feel awfully lonely in that house...but I know a really great way to fill it up ;)
You can't worry about what you don't have. Noone has everything at the beginning. The fun is to acquire and fill it up. You will be amazed at how fast it is full and you don't have any more room. It takes time.. don't stress.
ReplyDeletei agree hannah, there is a really great way to fill it up. and they come with so much freakin equipment that you'll never fill empty again. also, i know how you feel i'm not crafty at all but it all comes with the job. when you guys are ready to become parents you'll see yourself doing stuff you never thought you'd do. for example: i cook everday!!! i NEVER thought i'd be able to cook one meal in my life! etc. i could go on. but you learn how to be a "homemaker" and you'll love it. and don't worry about your house feeling empty because of the lack of decorations...when there is love in a home, it doesn't matter what else is in it, it will feel like home. when we first bought our house we didn't have a couch or a dining table either but somehow you make it work and it will feel like home to you. ok sorry to go off...but good luck with your new house!!
ReplyDeleteHey Hannah! I love reading your blogs :). Crazy, I know. But I just felt compelled to comment on this one. I totally know how you feel, but I want to encourage you to take a deep breath and just enjoy where God has you in your life right now. You have SO much and God is just beginning your blessings. Don't rush things, because you will look back at this time and reminisce about the "good old days" of just you and your hubby starting out.... I am so excited for you guys to move in your house. I remember when Warren and I did that a few years ago. Just remember - it's just "stuff" and it is not "treasures in heaven." None of it really matters - but I know that knowing this is not going to take away the desires :). I have them too! Love, Sarah Leonhardi
ReplyDeleteDon't forget, i am always here to help you make it a home if you want. I am pretty crafty, I own an iron, I own a sewing machine, and even though I can't sew straight, i made curtains :) We can come up with so many ideas, just wait and see :)
ReplyDeleteI totally and completely know how you feel! All of our furniture is mismatched and was given to us too!!! And, I also am not crafty. When we first moved in I had all of these grand ideas of crafts I'd make for our house and...yea. Then I realized I too don't sew or iron or any of that. I super glued my husband's entire costume this year. Yup. I would sometimes look at other people's home and long for their beautiful kitchen table and pretty craft (ok, sometimes I still do this..). But, one day I realized that while we don't have a ton of super nice things we do have what we need and whole lot more. I also read this awesome quote by President Hinkley that said something like one of the most important decorations in our home are not the material things. It's the feeling. I really wish I could find it because he says it WAY better. But it got me thinking about how there are many homes that don't have the cutest decorations, but I just LOVE being in them because of the feeling of love inside of them.
ReplyDeleteTanya stresses about the same thing (as do I). When we get into our house, we are going to just save up for one thing at a time, and when we have the money for it, we'll buy it. It will be empty for awhile, but who cares? Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI'm not gonna sugar coat it...it IS hard to get a house and put all your old crappy stuff in it. But when we bought ours we had 4 kids and 10 yrs of marriage behind us. You'll build it up, one piece at a time. Don't have nightmares. :)
ReplyDelete