Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Create.

I'm always talking about Landon and all the crazy things he's building/fixing/doing... but a lot of people ask how that makes ME feel in comparison? Well quite honestly it makes me feel kind of lame. He built a boat last year and what do I have to show for my time? Pretty much nothing, which isn't really okay.

So I have made a new goal... while Landon is working on his projects I am going to be working on stuff of my own. The main reason why I normally don't do big projects is because I label myself as a perfectionist. I won't try something new if I can't do it right and perfect the first time... which is just silly. I have limited myself SO much my whole life in my quest for perfection and fear of failure.

I love love love this talk by President Uchtdorf where he talks about happiness and one way to feel happy is creating something...anything!


"You may think you don't have any talents, but that is a false assumption, for we all have talents and gifts, every one of us. The bounds of creativity extend far beyond the limits of a canvas or a sheet of paper and do not require a brush, a pen, or the keys of a piano. Creation means bringing into existence something that did not exist before--colorful gardens, harmonious homes, family memories, flowing laughter.

What you create doesn't have to be perfect. So what if the eggs are greasy or the toast is burned? Don't let the fear of failure discourage you. Don't let the voice of critics paralyze you--whether that voice comes from the outside or the inside."

Wow! I have always described myself like this: "I don't have any talents or hobbies. I'm kinda lame. I have never played on a team, I don't play an instrument, I don't dance..." But, creativity can be SO much more than playing an instrument or painting a masterpiece. So I'm not going to hold myself back anymore. I can seriously be SO mean to myself.

Last October I bought fabric and cut squares to make a tree skirt, but I was terrified of breaking out my sewing machine to start putting it together because I wasn't exactly sure how to do it. So, for almost a year it just sat there. Well, I started working on it last weekend and I'm almost done! Oh my gosh, I can't even tell you how much joy it brings for me to look at it and know that I made it! Me! And it is far from perfect (the corners don't match up at all) but I am trying to not focus on those things and stop being my worst critic. It really does feel SO good and bring such fulfillment to create something.




So after I finish this tree skirt, I am going to make a bigger one for our 9 ft tree and then make some matching stockings and maybe even pillows! And then I have about a million pins on pinterest for crafty things I can make, I need to paint my front room, etc! It feels so good to be working on projects and being creative :) 

And while I'm crafting, Landon is working on his new project... He is overhauling his car engine and transmission. Can I remind you that he has absolutely no experience or training in fixing cars? He just does it. He is my hero and such an example to me! He is the reason why I am stretching myself and doing all these things I never thought I could do. He makes me better :) 




dang, he's cute!

Really, if there's one thing I have learned in the past year or so is that I can do anything if I decide I can do it. It may not be perfect, but that's not what we're here to do anyway. We are here to learn and grow, but achieving perfection? Not going to happen in this lifetime folks! :) 

1 comment:

  1. I love this! It is crazy how much this sounds like Jayson and me. I always say I don't have talents and that I'm not good at anything. Lately I've been trying to craft more too! My craft are far from perfect too, so don't feel bad (although, the tree skirt looks pretty great to me!). And recently Jayson is trying to fix up an old lawn mower just because he wants to, haha.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...