We have been talking for awhile now about how fun it would be to walk on the jetty at the Columbia River Bar. Remember how we
sailed across the bar into the ocean last year? Well this time we wanted to
walk out into the bar.
We were SO excited and when we pulled up and started our hike we were having so much fun jumping and climbing across the rocks. All I could think of was how much fun ten-year-old Hannah would have had. But then there was water (no more land) on either side of us and we went further and further out into the ocean and waves were crashing on the rocks and I got FREAKED out. I told Landon it was like post-traumatic stress disorder being back on the bar! Plus the jetty got narrow at some points and there were big gaps between the rocks and you had to LEAP and just hope you didn't tumble into the ocean and crash against the rocks by the humungous waves!
Okay, yes I admit I am just a tad bit dramatic, but it really was kinda freaky.
On top of that it felt like the "jetty that never ends." I got two songs stuck in my head as we climbed and climbed and climbed. Can you guess which ones? Okay, I'll tell you. "This is the jetty that never ends. Yes it goes on and on my friends!" And then this cutie "The neverending jeeeetty" from the Neverending Story, duh. But really, you just kept walking and climbing and stumbling and it felt like you never got closer to the end of the jetty. It wouldn't end!
After two hours we realized we weren't going to reach the end at my slow pace, so I told Landon to just go ahead so he could at least reach it (the jetty is 6.5 miles long people!) So Landon just starts running across the rocks like a mountain goat or something. He made it look like he was just running across flat land. Meanwhile, I am like on my hands and knees crawling and climbing across the rocks. Ha!
Both of us were nervous wrecks the whole time we were separated because we couldn't see each other after awhile. Landon really thought that I might have fallen into a crack and got knocked unconscious and he was just going to pass right over me and not see me. It was quite the dramatic day haha! But really, we were both fine and felt MUCH safer when we were together again.
We FINALLY made it back to our car after almost 4 hours and we were just exhausted and miserable. Before we drove home we stopped by the beach to see an old shipwreck. It was kind of cool, but we were just being babies about having to walk our tired legs on the sand. Haha! We drove two hours home and couldn't even come up with the strength to go on our nightly walk and ended up sleeping in until 10 the next day! TEN! We were tired. I don't think I ever want to walk across another jetty again.
The end :)
this is BEAUTIFUL and so are you two!
ReplyDelete