Via: someecards.com
So I've decided to make adjustments that are going to actually LAST and work for me. Here's a breakdown of some of the adjustments I'm making.
Food:
Okay this one is HARD for me because I LOVE to eat. So much. Some of my weaknesses are--Alfredo and breadsticks, ice cream, popcorn, natural Cheetos (so much better than the yucky orange ones), chocolate, French fries, white bread, Mac and cheese, pizza, and cookie dough (to name a few). Mmm mmm! I'm salivating just thinking about all the deliciousness...
So guess what? I can still eat ALL of that stuff. I do not have a list of "restricted" food items. Honestly, if you were to tell me I could only eat 4 sweets a month I think I would pass out and die. That's how much I love and need sweets. So instead of saying "absolutely not!" to my dear friends aka junk food, I am saying "just a little bit!" Oh, that sounds SO much better.
To help me keep on track with portion control, I am tracking everything that I eat with My Fitness Pal and staying around 1400 calories. At the beginning of every day, I plan out what I will eat for all my meals and snacks. Of course, sometimes it changes, but I just like to have a general idea of what my day looks like.
Some days I plan to eat really low calorie meals so I can save room for things like Butterfinger ice cream ;) I love using MFP because it is easy to add recipes (like a homemade pizza recipe) and scan labels to get all the nutrition information, not just the calories. Once you've used it for a couple weeks, all your "regulars" are on there and it's really fast and convenient to see how many calories you're eating, carbs, protein, sugar, vitamins, calcium, sodium, etc. I LOVE MFP!! (add me if you use it too!)
So on top of staying under calories I am: only drinking water (no soda, no juice), eating fruits and veggies every day and with every meal, eating more protein, and I am not eating fast food. So I'm not being restrictive at all, but still eating a LOT healthier than I was!
But, I do have a huge problem of being a picky eater. There are only about six fruits and veggies I actually like so there isn't much variety going on. I tried to eat a yogurt the other day and almost puked. I bought some humus and got brave enough to open it today but I still can't get the courage to eat it. Smoothies of any kind make me gag, don't get me started on those yucky bananas and strawberries, and I really wish I liked beans, avocados, nuts, or even eggs (the worst!!!) I have issues. So if anyone has suggestions on foods that might ease me into getting more brave, I would love to hear them!
Exercise:
I've always loved jogging. I kind of did track in high school (never competed, just trained) and in college I was running up to six miles a day. Then I hurt my hip and realized that my joints suck and I'm basically a grandma so running isn't an option for me. So I pretty much just stopped exercising. I would occasionally do workout videos or go for a bike ride or little jog, but nothing regular. I told myself that I hated working out and wished that I liked to work out.
But, I have had an attitude adjustment, and it all goes back to an experience I had six years ago. I am terrified of heights and have always said I would NEVER go sky diving. Ever! I went to Hawaii for spring break my freshman year and the group of friends I went with wanted to sky diving. I told them I would watch them from the ground, but somehow they were able to convince me to come with them. I made myself SICK with nerves the night before, but then I woke up in the morning and told myself over and over and over how EXCITED I was instead of thinking how scared I was. And guess what? It worked! You can see it in my face. I literally FAKED myself through it and pretended to be excited instead of scared until I actually FELT it. It's amazing what a positive attitude can do! It was one of the coolest experiences I have ever had, and I almost missed out!
So just like with my experience sky diving, I have convinced myself that I LIKE to work out, even though deep down my inner voice was originally thinking otherwise. But that's the funny thing about your brain, YOU can change it. So by giving myself pep talks and saying things like, "oh I LOVE the feeling I get from working out!" Instead of, "working out is MISERABLE!" I actually started to believe myself. And I am enjoying working out! I never thought I would say that. I honestly look forward to doing my workout every day. It is "me" time. I feel strong. I feel happy. I feel energized. I feel GOOD.
I got a heart rate monitor at REI so that makes working out even more fun because I know if I need to push myself or if I just need to keep it up. It also tracks how many calories you're burning, which is great motivation for me. It feels like a reward for working out to see that number on my watch.
Last year, I only did Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and occasionally went running too. This time, I switch things up EVERY day so I don't get bored and so my body doesn't get too comfortable. All the videos I do are Jillian Michaels--30 day shred, ripped in 30, biggest loser workout, 6 week 6 pack, burn fat boost metabolism, and killer buns and thighs. I do these 5-6 days a week and I like them because they incorporate cardio and strength training! Some days I go for a little run, some days Landon and I go on a bike ride, and then of course every day (rain or shine) we go on our nightly 45 minute walk.
Motivation:
What really started this adjustment is going to come as no surprise, but it has everything to do with preparing to be a mom. I want to be at a healthy weight when I get pregnant so I will (hopefully) have a healthy pregnancy. I want to already be eating healthy and working out so I can continue to do it when I'm pregnant. I want my kids to eat healthy and be active--and they learn by my example. I want to be in shape for them so I can play tag, go on hikes, go on bike rides, and play with them. I am taking the time NOW to make these habits while I actually have the time to focus on myself.
I've only been at this for two and a half weeks, but I've already lost 4.5 pounds and a couple of inches. I've been taking pictures so I can track my progress and it's crazy how much I've already changed. Not to mention how much better I feel!
Landon told me last night that he has noticed a difference in me. I don't think he can see a difference with the way I look, but with my mood and my energy. He told me I am a lot more chipper and happy. That's why I will continue to work out and eat healthy, even when I reach my goal weight. I am not stopping this time. This is how I want to feel for the rest of my life. These are habits that will help me to live a longer, happier life. Our bodies are a gift from our loving Heavenly Father, and it's time I start treating mine that way.
Moral of the story--I CAN eat healthy, even though I love junk food and I CAN enjoy working out, even though I used to hate it. I also have stopped telling myself lies like, "I don't have willpower" because I do! And my brain is strong and powerful! I know it's cliche, but we really can do anything we set our minds to. We are so much stronger than we think!





Congratulations that's so awesome! I've tried calorie counting before, but I've never been able to stick with it for long because we make so many new recipes that it's a pain to enter them all. So I'm really impressed you're sticking with it!
ReplyDeleteAs far as expanding to new and different vegetables, I have a few ideas to try. Sorry if this is long, but I love veggies, beans, nuts and eggs lol. I definitely recommend trying new vegetables as part of a recipe, not just on their own. Also, I love most any vegetable roasted, grilled, or stir-fried. High heat with salt (don't skimp- salt isn't bad for you unless you have salt-sensitive hypertension), pepper and olive oil does wonders. As far as avocados in particular, I've recently learned that they only taste good when the flesh is somewhat browned. All the food blogs with perfectly green avocados are liars. For nuts, I prefer them toasted or roasted over raw. They mellow out a lot. For eggs, if it's the egg-y taste you don't like, try leaving out the whites- that's the part that tasted sulfur-y. For hummus, I'm not really a fan of store-bought hummus, so I'd recommend making your own if you can. good recipe For other beans, this article has some great tips at the kitchn. mostly I would just recommend the same thing I did with vegetables- eat them in other recipes. Here are a couple of my favorite easy recipes: 30 minute pasta e fagioli and corn tomato and black bean tostadas (this one you'll have to wait until summer for, but it's so good).For fruits, I recommend buying mostly in season and at the farmer's market if you can. I'd say that's especially important for delicate fruits that don't transport well when ripe, like berries and stone fruit. Some vegetables are that way too- tomatoes especially. Currently citrus and strawberries from California are the only fruits in season. I'd recommend trying some of the cool varieties of citrus in New Seasons. I hope some of this helps :)