Thursday, March 27, 2014

What I Love.

Sometimes I start a blog with absolutely no idea what I'm going to blog about. I just start writing and see what happens. I love writing. It is therapeutic to me. I wish so bad I would've taken more opportunities to write in high school and college. I actually had a dream recently that I was in a creative writing class at BYU. Our final project was to write a novel, and I loved it. Ask me how many writing classes I have taken (not including required English)? Zero. Lame!

I had an epiphany the other day. So much of my life has been wasted trying to be something I'm not. I am really hard on myself for not being more crafty, for not being an excellent cook (hence the lack of frosting skills), for not being sporty or athletic, etc. I have always considered myself such a waste because I didn't have any "real" hobbies. Well, that's not true. I didn't have any of the hobbies that OTHER people have and that I wanted so badly. So I wallowed in self-pity instead of realizing what hobbies and talents I DO have. I was comparing myself to others...and we all know how that goes!

Via

I've had a LOT of positive response from my blog. I can't tell you how much it means to me to hear things like: I love your blog! You are such a great writer! Etc. You have all given me a much needed confidence boost! I have a hobby! I love to WRITE! Yay! 

And yes, you may be thinking that I love to sail too, right? Right! But that's a hobby that I have WITH Landon and our future family. I think it is important to have "us" hobbies and "me" hobbies. It is so easy to lose yourself in "motherhood" and "wifehood," but sometimes you really need to take the time to be YOU! Some people may think this is selfish, but I think it's quite opposite actually. By focusing on yourself and growing as a person, you will be a better mom and wife overall...and that's better for EVERYONE.

So what do you love to do? Do you love to exercise? Do you love to curl up with a good book? Do you love baking cakes? Do you love playing soccer? Do you love singing in choirs? Do you love to dance? Well DO it! Be proud of it! Take time every week to have "you" time to do what you love.

When we are doing what we love, we are happy. 

I am not a mom yet, but trust me, I know about being with kids all day every day. I know how much of your attention is required. I know how draining it is. I know how BUSY it is. But I'm telling you, if you take the time to take care of yourself, you will be able to take care of those little people better! So future Hannah, listen up! The kids are napping, you have piles of dishes and laundry and the house is a disaster... But before you tackle that mountain, write! Even if it is just for ten minutes. You will be happy and energized and ready to take on the rest of the day!

Well guess what? I am going to write a book! I have no idea what I am writing about yet, but I have always heard you should write what you know. And I know love. I love love. I am not planning on getting it published, because I know that's a very hard road, but I am writing because I love to. And if I happen to write the next Twilight, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, etc... Well, I won't complain ;)

So in the future when I am a stay-at-home mom, I will have something to work on during nap-times. I will be focusing on ME and hopefully that will help me to be a better mom and wife. 

My brain is constantly thinking of ways I can prepare to be a better mom, and I don't even have any kids yet! But I am so motivated to improve MYSELF while my life is relatively calm, so that when kids do come I will be my best self. And then I will continue to grow and develop, because I know kids learn by example. I want SO much for them... And it starts with ME.

P.S. I told Landon on one of our nightly walks about my epiphany that people should do what they love and he said something along the lines of, "wow Hannah! What an original idea!" Hahaha he is such a stinker ;) We could not stop laughing. I love my sarcastic husband who teases, plays around with me, and makes me laugh every day!

3 comments:

  1. This is karissa, for some reason google is making me comment through Jayson's account. Anyway, I love this! I really do love your blog. You are a great writer! I love that you're always so honest and relatable. I have also always felt that I don't have any talents or hobbies, but I too discovered a hobbit and talent with blogging because of positive feedback! You're going to be such an amazing mom one day. You are so right, you can take so much better care of your kiddos if you take care of yourself because you have more energy, patience, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. I love this post. You really are such a talented writer! Your book is going to be amazing!! I hope I get to read the final draft. And that comment from Landon about your epiphany was SO funny! I was laughing so much when I read that. You are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like the part about improving yourself so you can be a better mom, wife etc. I think there are a lot of "self help" messages out there, and you're right: that's selfish. But what I've learned from President Monson (and what you said) is that our lives are best lived when we wear ourselves out in the service of others (most importantly our family), and you can't serve others if you are not refining your talents, whatever they may be.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...