Five years ago (has it really been that long?!) I had only been dating Landon for about 3 weeks by the time his birthday came. I decided to throw him a surprise party, take him to Red Lobster and Coraline (we had the theatre to ourselves and I think we missed about half of the movie ;), buy him presents, personalize a fancy Costco cake, and probably spent about $200 bucks. I guess I liked him a lot already ;)
We left Friday after work for a weekend sailing trip. There is nothing like night sailing. It's so quiet, peaceful, and romantic! ;) We decided to head up the river, which means we were fighting the strong current of the Columbia River. Luckily, the wind was blowing strong and we PLOWED up the river. It was unbelievable how fast we were going! Sooo much fun.
We made it all the way up to Government Island in 5 minutes to dock for the night. Okay, it was more like two hours but it FELT like 5 minutes! We have spent an entire DAY getting up to that island before, so two hours is like lightening fast!
It is always so fun to spend the night on our boat, even though it was down in the 30's that night. We woke up, ate some cereal (I love having a boat with a kitchen and real bed!!), and then continued up the river. We have never sailed further than Government Island, so it is always fun to explore new territory!
The wind was AMAZING again, which was a birthday miracle. I am not kidding, in the spring it is NEVER both sunny and windy in the same day. Ever. It is either sunny, and completely calm with zero wind OR pouring rain with amazing wind. So we were pretty darn happy with sun and wind! We sailed pretty far up the river--all the way to Troutdale.
The only downside to the day was when Landon's hat fell in the water. He screamed, "MAN OVERBOARD!" because I was steering at the helm. I panicked and tried to remember the man overboard drill... We tried to catch it twice but with no luck... Mostly because I did the maneuver all wrong :( Hats sink if you didn't know... I feel HORRIBLE because Landon loves his hat more than I've ever seen someone love an inanimate object. At one point he said, "I have to go in and get it!" I screamed back, "don't you DARE jump in for your hat!" The water is freezing, and considering I'm not the best at the drill it would not have been good if Landon was going into hypothermic shock and I had to rescue him... So, looks like we will be practicing the man overboard drill this weekend!
We came home later that night and made the birthday boy's choice for dinner--Halibut. It was actually pretty good, but I felt bad that he made his own birthday meal. I just can't cook fish! After dinner, we had our friends Forrest, Grace, Erin, and Cory over for cake and ice cream. You guys, I can't frost a cake for the life of me! Why does the top layer always peel off?! I need some lessons ASAP. But, it still tasted great :)



















Yay! What a fun happy post! Oh and I stink at icing cakes too. But I do know that when people who really know what they're doing ice a cake they do a crumb coating first. Oh and happy birthday to Landon from his Canadian-cousins-in-law!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you like birthdays as much as we do! Seriously, they are the best days. I'm so glad you guys had a good sailing day! Tell Landon happy birthday from the three of us! I hope he also had some Tillamook chocolate mudslide ice cream with his chocolate cake!!
ReplyDelete