Saturday, September 15, 2018

Being Authentic.

This blog is basically my personal/family history. I'm a little bit obsessive with documenting our life because I want our kids to know our story, and have the opportunity to read and see stories from their childhood or even from back before they came into the picture. I'm also an open book and have shared stories on my blog that are deeply personal... but there's something I haven't written about and I'm finally ready to share it here. I want to be authentic.

I am no longer an active member of the LDS church. The church was my life. It made me so happy and truly was my foundation. I LOVED the church. So I know how it feels to be an active, happy member and see someone leave. It doesn't make sense. It HURTS and it used to make me soooo sad. Why would anyone choose to walk away from the truth? It's an easy answer...they don't believe it's true anymore.

You can't really understand the pain, betrayal, and hurt I've experienced these past four years until you've been there. It truly is like an identity crisis. Suddenly everything you've ever known is taken away from you and you feel lost. I'm definitely in a happier place now, but those first few years were SO hard.

I won't go into detail (out of respect and love for all of my family and friends that are active) but basically, in 2014 I started to disagree with the church's stance on gay marriage. I found out someone very close to me was gay and for the first time in my life I disagreed with something that the church taught. It was a weird place, because as I mentioned earlier the church had only brought me happiness up until this point.

As I struggled, I prayed and tried to reconcile how I was feeling. I came across the essays published on LDS.org. I was hoping they would offer clarity, but it had the opposite effect. I learned things that I had never heard before, or that I had heard but assumed it was "anti-mormon" propaganda. I'm not going to detail the things I learned, but it was shocking to me. I tried to "shelf" these concerns for years... but I basically felt SO betrayed. I felt lied to and it eventually led to my loss of trust in the organization.

For years and years, I tried to make it work and I'm obviously giving a condensed version of these events. But I tried to focus on the "basics" instead of my concerns. It was really hard to be in that "middle" place for so long. I would try things like just going to sacrament and not the other meetings, hoping I could make it work. I even dubbed myself the title of "weird Mormon." Like a Mormon that believed in most of it, but still had a really hard time with a lot of it. I found a forum for other "weird Mormons" like me and got a lot of support and answers from them. I really did try for so long, and it was REALLY hard.

But eventually my shelf broke and I stopped attending church in December. Since then, I've been telling some family and friends and of course my feelings have been hurt by stuff that has been said, but there have also been some really great talks. There are people who I really avoided telling for SO long because I was so worried they would distance themselves from me. But do you know what? People have been amazing. They've asked me questions. They've understood how hard this must have been for me. None of my friends have pulled away. I am surrounded by some really great people, and because of their reactions it helped me to realize that I don't have to hide anymore.

I'm definitely scared to hit "publish" but I know I will feel 100% better once I do. I also want to be clear that I am not against the church, I will not talk bad about the church, and I completely respect and love all of my believing family and friends! I think it's so important to respect other people's beliefs and just know that everyone is out there trying to do their best.

The thing that has been the most interesting to me, is that before all of this happened I would have thought that there was NO way I could be happy outside of the church. But I am still happy! I am still me! And honestly, I feel better. I feel like I try to do good and be good simply for the sake of being good. And boy, does it feel good! How many times do you think I can say "good" in one paragraph :)

And just for the record.... No, I didn't leave because I was offended. No, I didn't leave because I never had a testimony to begin with. No, I didn't leave because I read anti-Mormon stuff. No, I didn't leave because I wanted to sin. And yes, I am still a good person. Yes, I still have morals. Yes, I am still me.

So, there you have it. :)

5 comments:

  1. Well done Hannah for standing up to your deepest values and heart felt feelings. Jesus taught that love is the greatest gift and sure members of the right wing mainline church are very anti gay. They quote verses like 'go and sin no more' (the Samaritan woman at the well) But what is SIN? some would say going against God's laws and commandments, but God wants us to love without judgement or condemnation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, I am so proud of you. I am a follower of Jesus and I believe that he loves everyone no matter what their sin is and that's the problem in a life on Earth. A lot of churches create man made followings and that is the problem to. I am Christian and I follow The Bible I do not follow the laws of man because I will never be loved or accepted by the ones creating these laws. I am so proud that you have come forward to be who you are meant to be and not allow anyone to drag you into a place that is wrong and you know is wrong. I have adopted a lot of views over the last years that I know many christians may disagree with but you know what I am happy and I am at peace and I know my God loves me no matter what. When we live in our truth we live in a freedom that nobody can understand except for ourselves. You will find a church that's right for you and you will find one that will accept you because of your views and that right there is love. (((((Hug))))) dont ever change for anyone in this life..
    ❤����������

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian finally left because of the gay stance. I had a laundry lady, but the issue with immigration, homosexuality and a few other things are why I cam never go back. Stay true to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not just a good person Hannah, you are an amazing, incredible, wonderful person who I admire deeply. No one can take that away from you and the only one who can judge you is God himself. You keep on being the amazing person you are with your awesome family and let God do the rest :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Hanna

    I was raised devout Pentecostal my entire childhood with my great grandma becoming the first woman pastor of our church, so I know a bit about the inner workings of a church and I empathize with the struggle you have/are going through.

    I used to whole heartedly hold the same beliefs as my church until 16 yrs ago, when I so very unexpectedly and unintentionally, fell in love with a woman. It was nearly impossible for me to accept after being taught my entire childhood that same sex love is clearly a sin punishable by hell. I was in turmoil for a many months. I repented, read bible scriptures very closely over and over, and prayed and then prayed some more, and then God, he gifted me with a deeper understanding of his word and showed me the depth of his love. It’s kind of like that moment when you FINALLY and rather suddenly understand quadratic equations in college algebra, Lol! All I can say is that huge burden was lifted from me when I finally, first understood and then accepted that I did need not ask for his forgiveness for simply loving another person. So very much longer story much short. I now have the peace that only God can give and a beautiful healthy family he gave me and so many other blessings, far too numerous to mention in this writing but all of his giving. I pray for all the church leaders that God will gift them with the insight and understanding that only he can give and that someday they might suddenly feel compelled to preach certain passages of the scripture differently.

    I know well the difference between a welcoming and an affirming church. Most important to me is protecting my children from being taught that their family is not right and prevent them from feeling as if God must have made a mistake when he gifted them to us. We just recently have started looking for a church to call home. It's way past due for my girls but not too late.


    I would just like to share you with the story of how my first born(Abbie) came to be. Idk, maybe just something to think on...

    My first marriage of 11 yrs was to a man. We loved each other and both wanted children badly, but after 8 yrs of unprotected sex and normal fertility tests for us both, the doctors labeled our inability to conceive as unexplained infertility stating we could try IVF but it was very expensive at the time and then we ended up getting a divorce, not at all related to fertility. Well, two years later I fell in love with and married my wife(Stacey). One year after that, our first born daughter was conceived at home on our very FIRST try via an ICI insemination using OHSU donor sperm. I just know that God wanted my daughter, well daughters, here in this world and I firmly believe he hand selected my wife and I to be their parents and we are forever in his thanks.

    My best friend and her entire family are Mormon. All wonderful people who I love dearly. You are strong, Hanna. It takes amazing stregth to listen to your own moral & value compass, uphold it and take action. Walking away from the church has likely been one of the hardest things you have done. Best of wishes on wherever your life path takes you. I truly think you a wonderful soul in this world.

    Thank You for sharing your story. Thank You for acknowledging, accepting and validating the love my wife and I share for each other and for our children. Love is Love.

    I don't catch all your posts & blogs but treally enjoy the ones I do catch. It's fun watching you enjoy motherhood and seeing your little guy grow. I just know you are an amazing mom. Charlie is one blessed little boy and so are his parents! Much love to your family. ��

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...