Monday, November 3, 2014

Transatlantic Cruise Part 1.

After three whirlwind days in London, it was very comforting knowing we were boarding a cruise ship and would be able to relax.

We drove to Southampton bright and early and arrived at the cruise terminal about an hour and a half early. Normally, this isn't an issue and oftentimes they let you check-in early. If we would've known how much of a nightmare our morning was going to be, we definitely would have planned to come in the afternoon!

Our first look at the massive boat. P.S. did you know that the Titanic left from Southampton too? Creepy!
Check-in was supposed to start at noon. So around 11:30, people started gathering outside the door. The workers kept telling people to clear the area and not to gather... but naturally, everyone wants to check-in and be the first in line. Cue mob gathering. I took this picture a few minutes before noon, but I wish I would've taken a picture 30 minutes later so you could see the madness.


Basically it was a NIGHTMARE. I have never seen people go so crazy in my life. People literally turned into animals. Even though we were one of the first people there, Landon and I decided to leave the "line" which was basically just a jumble of people, because we were sick of being pushed and squeezed. Suzette and Jason stayed in the jumble and after awhile we couldn't even see them because the mob was so big. The workers continued to ask people to back away from the doors and make room for people who were "diamond or platinum" members because they would get to check-in first. Well, there wasn't any queues or any sort of organization so people just kept pushing and pushing and trying to make it further up front. And since it was a 12 day transatlantic cruise, most people were platinum and diamond because it was a boat filled with serious cruisers... so basically everyone was pushing trying to make their way up front because they were "special" diamond members. 

Eventually they opened the doors, about 45 minutes late. At this point people were angry. I was worried people were going to stampede, rush the doors, and that people would be trampled/killed. It was scary! Mob mentality for sure. The workers held people off the best they could and would allow five or so people in at once, so you can imagine the pushing and shoving that was involved. Landon and I got back into the mob and I was just horrified by what I saw. The workers would get on a megaphone and make announcements like, "we apologize for the inconvenience, but we are only allowing a few people inside at a time. Thank you for your patience and cooperation." and then the whole crowd would BOO and scream at them! Landon and I were just in shock and I just started clapping for the workers because I knew they were doing the best they could and it wasn't necessarily their fault. Southampton is a small port, and our boat is HUGE with over 5,000 people... so I just don't think Royal Caribbean prepared Southampton very well. It was such an unorganized mess with people acting like animals.

After getting separated and reunited with Landon, we finally got through and checked in. By the time we got on the boat, we were both just so exhausted and stressed. We dropped our stuff off at our room, met up with Suzette and Jason for lunch, and then went right back to our room to sleep! Normally we are anxious to tour the boat, but we definitely weren't feeling up to it.

We LOVE inside cabins because they are pitch back when you turn off the lights... perfect for our daily naps! :) 


The next few days were pretty much a blur. We had two full days at sea and we literally SLEPT the whole time. Our day looked like this. Wake up and work out (well, at least I worked out. I begged them every day to come work out with me... but ended up working out every day by myself. Haha!), got ready, went to breakfast, went back to our cabins for a 2-3 hour nap, woke up for lunch, went back to our cabins for a 2-3 hour nap, went to dinner, went to the hot tub/show/played around, and then finished the day with an early bed time. We were all just SO tired!

The Oasis of the Seas was not only the biggest boat I've been on...it was the fanciest boat! This is the promenade and it looked like a mall. 
We loved these glass elevators!

The boat has two outdoor areas that are actually open to the sky, but not on the top level. It's hard to explain but it was pretty awesome! This was the boardwalk. So dang cute! The zipline went right over this area.  

One of the pool areas.
After two wonderful and relaxing days at sea it was exciting to get to our first, and only, port of call... Vigo, Spain! It was absolutely beautiful! 






I love the buildings in Europe!! The architecture is so pretty. 

We decided to go to "Castro de Vigo" which is an old fortress at the top of the hill in the middle of the city. We had to climb up the hilly streets in the city and then hundreds of stairs once we got to the park.



We finally got to the fortress and it was amazing. So old, beautiful, and with a gorgeous view! The stairs/hills were definitely worth it.

Love the round doors!

The view was incredible! 


I love the orange roofs! :)

After our walk through the town and the fortress, Landon and I went back to the boat to take a nap! Haha I know, we are so lame! :) Suzette and Jason stayed and shopped for a few hours. Then we met back up for dinner and to watch the boat pull away from the dock.


THOUSANDS of people came to see us off. It was really neat to see! They had a band playing music and they were all cheering, waving, taking pictures... it kind of felt like we were on the Titanic. Which I guess isn't the best feeling... considering we were about to cross the Atlantic just like they did. Luckily, we were much further south and didn't have to worry about icebergs :)



It was kind of a weird feeling pulling away from land and knowing you're not going to see it again for 10 days. 



That night at dinner we talked about how many days we had left on the boat, and honestly it felt a little daunting! I was definitely worried we would all go a bit stir crazy... :)

The entrance to our cute dining room :)
The last stop of the day was taking our first ride on the carrousel. I literally giggled like a school girl the whole time. It was just so funny to me. Maybe it was the fact that Landon was riding on a little frog :)


Suzette had to ride this black horse because it was so pretty. And don't worry, I rode the elephant on our next ride :) 
I totally forgot how fun carrousels are! I was so happy!
I just can't get over Landon on that frog! 

I'm sure you're wondering how on earth we managed to keep ourselves occupied for the next 10 days hanging out at sea... but you're just going to have to wait for the next post! I know, I know... the suspense must be killing you! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Okay, Dave is totally jealous that you got to go to Spain! He is just DYING to get back there. I can't believe how crazy those people were to get on the boat! That is totally nuts. And I bet you were SO glad to have some relaxing days at sea after your whirlwind in London and the craziness of boarding the boat! Your boat looks absolutely amazing, and the suspense really IS killing me! Keep these posts coming!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...