After crossing the bar successfully we were SO relieved and couldn't believe we were finally sailing in the OCEAN! Ahhh! I kept asking Landon, "are we officially in the ocean yet?!" We couldn't believe it! I told Landon we were playing with the big boys now and we both broke out in song (name that movie!)
It was seriously the weirdest feeling to be out there and have nothing around you. Surreal for sure. But I actually wasn't scared like I thought I would be.
| My super-excited-can't-believe-I'm-sailing-in-the-ocean face! :) |
We were both wearing wetsuits, jeans, long sleeves, jackets, and our foul weather gear... You would never know it was July! We were freezing! It was super cloudy and at some points really foggy too. The waves were relatively big, but pretty far apart. I got a little bit nauseous but took a nap and woke up feeling MUCH better!
| This picture doesn't do the fog justice. Looking at the horizon usually helps me when I'm getting sick, but there wasn't really a horizon... so that was lame. |
We were able to sail downwind for a few hours, but then the wind got pretty light and we had to drop the main sail and just sail with the jib. The waves were so big and without wind, the boom was slamming around too much.
![]() |
| The jib is the sail in the front :) |
Then the wind completely died and we had to motor again. Where was all that forecasted wind?! Boo! It was okay though, because we were just hanging out, enjoying each other's company, and jamming to The Beatles :)
Oh man, are you ready for the best story ever? I still can't believe it really happened. It gives me chills just thinking about it. Landon and I have been on too many cruises to count and basically we never see any wildlife. Ever. Landon's favorite animals are whales, specifically orcas. So we've been talking for months about how cool it would be to see a whale on our trip. We didn't ever think it would really happen, but it was fun to talk about... Well Landon was down below taking a shower when I saw a crab pot (more on those later...) and realized I should probably pay more attention. So I stood up and I saw water spout!! A WHALE! I started screaming "LANDON THERE'S A WHALE! THERE'S A WHAAAAAAAALE!" at the top of my lungs. Landon threw on some clothes and came up just in time to see a black fin right by our boat! We thought it was a humpback or possibly a porpoise. But then we saw the WHITE part of the eye and realized it was an ORCA! There were at least three of them!!! Oh my gosh. I started tearing up and Landon was seriously in heaven. It was a real life miracle. We were both in shock and just so happy.
| I almost fell trying to get a picture so this was the best I could do with all the waves and my lack of balance! |
![]() |
| Image via |
The boys were seriously SO good the whole trip. They're our little sea dogs :)
After over 12 hours of motoring/sailing, the fog finally lifted and we could see LAND! Of course I had to scream "LAND HO!!" :)
| The clouds were hugging the cliffs and hills along the coast. |
![]() |
| The rocks on either side of the bar entrance are called jetties :) Image via |
We motored through the bay and pulled into the small town of Garibaldi, just outside of Tillamook. It's the cutest little town! We of course went for a walk and then went back to the boat and straight to bed. It was such an exciting day which left us both exhausted again :)






This is amazing!!!! And I love that you saw an orca! I don't know if I even know anyone that has seen one in the wild! We saw tons of humpbacks in Hawaii and Mexico, which was amazing, but an orca!!! So cool!!!
ReplyDeleteahhhh you saw orcas!!!! Once you see one in the wild, Sea World is never the same...
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about crab pots! Annoying! I am so glad you got out of that one! Scary.
It's so fun to read about your trip!
The movie is The Prince of Egypt. I win :).
ReplyDeleteOkay, The Prince of Egypt is like one of my very favorite movies of all time! Haha. That is so exciting that you saw a whale! You guys are real life explorers now! And, I'm so happy to see Landon dancing in one of the movies. He must have been really happy. :)
ReplyDelete