Almost 2 months to the day of buying our sailboat, she is finally HOME. I can't believe everything we went through to get to this point...
 |
| view from the top of the mast. |
In mid-December she was taken apart (mast taken down along with sails, rigging, etc.) and transported on a truck from Seattle to a boatyard in Portland.
 |
| on the huge semi |
 |
| pretty excited to have the boat in Portland! See how big sailboats are out of the water? |
 |
| on the contraption ready to be dropped in the water. |
 |
| It was really cool to watch them slowly lower our 20,000 pound boat. |
From mid-December until yesterday Landon did
SO much work to put back together. The guys at the boatyard were really awesome and did a lot of work too (getting it rigged for a spinnaker, putting the mast up, etc.)
.JPG) |
| doing electrical work to add some new instruments |
 |
| He wired a new network and did all sorts of crazy things with this panel/wiring. Smarty smart boy. |
 |
| stepping the mast (putting the mast back up :) |
 |
| she looks soooo pretty with her mast on! :) |
We literally spent every weekend and maybe 2-3 weeknights at the boat. What did I do this whole time? Well I wrapped myself up in blankets like a burrito and read The Hobbit. I got pretty sick of spending hours and hours in the freezing cold boat...
 |
| pretty miserable! bored and freezing... |
We did have some fun while Viking was at the boatyard though. We took her out sailing a few times and one day we put together our "port-a-boat" and Landon rowed me around the harbor singing "You Are So Beautiful." It was awfully romantical ;)
 |
| It was SO foggy, which is pretty normal for Oregon. I love it! |
 |
| our first "meal" on the boat...grilled cheese. So fun to have a boat we can cook on! :) |
Anyway, were pretty dang excited when we found out on Friday that the boatyard was done with the work they were doing and we could take her home to Rocky Pointe Marina.
It was a beautiful day--sunny and 55 degrees. It felt like spring! Unfortunately, there was basically no wind. We sailed a bit but for the most part we had to motor.
 |
| We love being outside enjoying beautiful Oregon! |
 |
| I wish the sail could have been up a little more... :( |
 |
| how cool would it be to live on one of these floating homes? |
It took us 4 hours to go from the boatyard to our dock and we loved every minute of it, even if we had to motor most of the way :)
Here's a cheesy little video I did to give you a tour of the boat. Please don't mind the mess, the dogs whining, and my lovely commentary :)
We are so excited Viking is home and ready for some adventures! We already have a little trip planned in a few weeks :)
So awesome! Love the pics and the video tour!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh!! That boat is amazing!!! I am so excited for all the fun adventures ahead in it. Wow!! I loved how you were curled up reading the hobbit. That is totally what I would do. And your hair is so cute in your pictures! I just can't wait to see that boat!
ReplyDelete