I guess I'll start at the very beginning (a very good place to start!) We left Portland bright and early on Saturday morning October 11. It was a surreal feeling knowing I was leaving to fly to England. I have dreamed of going there for as long as I can remember. It just didn't feel like it could really be happening. We had a long layover in Dallas, which worked out perfectly to pick up Suzette and Jason (Landon's mom and husband) who came on the trip with us! We went back to their house for a bit and ate chick-fil-a (Oregon needs to get one ASAP) and hung out with Landon's family. Then it was time to go! Holy moly. We got to the airport just in time to board. It was one of the nicest planes I've been on... which was great considering we had a 9 hour flight ahead of us! Suzette and Jason sat behind us and we tried to sleep... but without much luck. We did have tv's on the back of the chair with FREE movies, so the flight really wasn't too bad other than knowing we should be sleeping...
We had an AMAZING view of London from the plane and I was just in shock! My stomach was full of butterflies as we flew right over the River Thames and right past Big Ben and The London Eye!! I couldn't believe we were really there. Once we landed, we literally hit the ground running. We hopped right on the tube and headed to our cute flat. It was kind of intimidating getting on the tube (subway) because we had no idea what we were doing and how to use our tickets. A cute worker gave me the advice to just push my way up to the gate with my ticket ready to go and hurry because once I got to the center of London, people would just push me right out of the way. I'm glad I had a practice round to be timid at the airport because you definitely had to be more aggressive in London! ;)
![]() |
| This is the very first picture I took in London and I think its pretty darn cute :) |
We got to our flat and met our host, who was SO sweet. She offered us tea, gave us some shortbread cookies, and gave us tips about the area.
| The flat was over 100 years old which was SO cool |
| I wish I took pictures before we trashed the place. It was very neat and tidy before we threw our stuff everywhere :) |
![]() |
| Tiniest little kitchen :) |
| Such a beaut! :) |
| The National Maritime Museum. I couldn't get over all the cool buildings and architecture! |
![]() |
| We should consider adding one of these to Viking, don't you think?! |
After less than an hour in London... we were all pretty much ready to be done. Not only did we not get much sleep on the plane, but with the time change it was around 2 a.m. our time. We were EXHAUSTED to say the least. But, with only 3 days in England we knew we had to make the most of our trip. So we hopped back on the tube and headed to Hyde Park to see the Peter Pan statue. It was adorable and I absolutely LOVED walking through the cute park!
| I think I embarrassed Landon when I broke out in "feed the birds, tuppence a bag..." I couldn't help myself :) |
But, we pushed through the pain and walked another few miles through Hyde Park and London to see Buckingham Palace. Definitely a good choice!! It was actually smaller than I imagined, but it was SO cool and we loved watching the cute guards :) It was all unreal.
There was a little girl standing next to us at the gate who was asking her mom what the guards were doing. The mom explained that they were guarding the palace and the queen. The little girl kept repeating her question, "but what are they ACTUALLY doing?!" It was so funny and I couldn't get over her cute accent!!
After Buckingham Palace we walked to Trafalgar Square and Piccadilly Circus. It was raining, getting dark, and pretty cold. We were pretty trashed at this point and after walking close to 10 miles and going off zero sleep we were SO ready to be done. We could hardly even enjoy our surroundings because we were basically zombies.
A bit of advice to anyone traveling to a far away place... take a day or even just half a day to catch up on SLEEP and relax a bit! We basically made ourselves sick after our crazy day of wandering around London... Oh well, you live, you learn!
We went right to sleep and ended up sleeping in WAY too late but, I'll save that for the next blog post :)







Some great shots - am amazed you all managed to see so much when you must have been very tired! Love the photo of the Cutty Sark.
ReplyDeleteWow!! These pictures are awesome! I love all those statues for the boats - you definitely need one for Viking! This is getting me really excited for our trip!!
ReplyDeleteGah!!! The Peter Pan statue! It's one of my dreams to see it. It's one of my favorite stories!!
ReplyDelete